Welcome!

I am using this blog to tell everyone what I'm thinking and doing beforehand, during and after my exchange year in Finland for 2011.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

August


I just can’t bring the blog back and not finish off the year. I just cant. August brought the beginning of school and it was nice to find that I could follow a bit more in class and begun to try to talk to the teachers in Finnish only. Poor Ari, he was very nice about the fact that I made no sense. Ari was my favourite teacher, then Jaana. Everyone told me she was scary but then again they had to take Swedish with her, I didn't :P

I joined a Finnish class in August and went every Tuesday night and it was great. I was the youngest there and in the middle in terms of skill level but it was good for my grammar and it was nice to be surrounded by people who understood what it was like. I also spent a few weeks in a pottery class but I had to stop going because the time was annoying but that was great fun too and they were both free! Some of my Tuesdays consisted of a whole school day, 1 hour in the library, lunch, Finnish class and then an hour of swimming before being picked up! It was nice to be busy though.  I had a German class in my first Jakso of the new school year and that was good too! It was the first class so everyone was at the same level as me which helped for about 2 weeks but then they just whizzed past me :P Damn Finns and their language skills!

I visited Savonlinna with Leena in August and it was for a Kosonen Family meeting. For the first time in my life, I was in a room packed with people with the same last name as me. It may sound weird but it makes you feel like you’re part of something bigger. Nobody there was even indirectly related to me because the meeting was really for a separate branch of the Kosonen tree but Leena had offered to bring me and I was really grateful for the experience! I got to see the castle too which was cool because when I was little it was the only thing I knew about Finland!

At the meeting

In Savonlinna!

Olavinlinna

Picture me on my knees taking this photo when someone walks by.. Of course being Finland they didn't even give me a second glance!

Soaking in the last of the summer days




2 comments:

  1. I had the same thought! I haven't written on my blog since just before Lapland, time to get back into it, it's great for reminiscing too, love what you've written xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't in Finland anymore, right? If you still keep checking this blog for comments , I would have a question for you! WOuld you please do a video where you speak finnish? You could especially tell about your exchange year in finnish!? :) It would be lovely to hear you speaking finnish. I found this blog about an hour ago and I've been reading it since then :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Ask away!

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!